One of the most popular academic assignments of both a creative and analytical character is writing. Almost every student has ever been forced to cope with the task. Do you need to write a paper, do not know what to start with; do you want to improve your writing skills? Hold on for a second - we have something here. In this article, we will talk about how to write a paper on any topic and will guide you on how to prevent common mistakes. You will learn about an argumentative essay outline, its structure, features, how to choose a topic, correctly express your thoughts on paper. Get only the highest scores!
How to Write an Argumentative Essay & Get A-grade for It?
How to write an argumentative essay is a popular question among student community around the world. Although many know how to write a standard paper, the situation gets complicated when it comes to dealing with the piece of writing. Why is it so? The main condition for successful writing is following the paper structure and in-depth elaboration of the argumentative essay outline.
For a paper to bring you A-grade, it should cover four main elements:
Each part should serve its specific purpose. Missing out any of the element can break the general concept of writing. When deciding on how to write an argumentative essay, elaborating paper structure should come first.
How to Write an Argumentative Essay Introduction
The introduction organizes text of the entire paper; it is important to approach the choice of its form and content seriously. The introduction leads to the problem of the paper. It helps to smoothly transit to the position of the author and your reasoned attitude towards the problem.
In the introduction, you can
- answer the question/ argument related to the topic;
- state your main argument if the title of the topic is a reference to it;
- provide a fact/ argument if this information is critical for subsequent analysis of the content;
- provide background information leading to the theme of the paper.
How to Write an Argumentative Essay Conclusion
The conclusion should not be more than 25% of the entire paper. In the concluding paragraph, it is necessary, to sum up, everything that has been mentioned above - to make the generalization of a thesis statement. The volume of the conclusion should be around 2-3 sentences.
There are several ways of how to approach conclusion writing:
- Generalization of each argument is the most typical/ logical ending of the work;
- Interrogative proposal, including rhetorical question, at the end of the paper returns the reader to the text problem, emphasizing its relevance.
- Use of the quote is an effective approach as well. Not every quote will be relevant in the conclusion - select citations that answer/ discuss/ address the topic. This should be a statement that fully expresses the author's thoughts. It is appropriate to use a small fragment that contains keywords of the text or quotations from another source, accurately reflecting the position of the author of the source text.
How to Write an Argumentative Essay Thesis?
One of best approaches of how to write a good argumentative essay, formulating a thesis statement at the initial stage of writing would make sense. A thesis is a general idea of your paper, which expresses your attitude towards what you are writing about. A thesis statement can be expressed in 1-2 sentences in the introduction.
How to Write Argument Essay Body Paragraph
The content of the main part of the paper should answer questions that you formulated in the introduction. Your mission is to convince the reader that you put questions correctly and answered them fully.
If you do not know how to write a good argumentative essay, start the process with the body and arguments to cover in it. It is important to show your attitude to the facts, to analyze each paragraph of the text, to make mini-conclusions and generalizations. It would be a good idea to present evidence to the issue.
When working on the body part of the paper, you should avoid the following mistakes:
- retelling facts and stories;
- presentation of information that does not have direct relationship to the topic.
In the main part, you need to demonstrate knowledge of the material, the ability to logically, reasonably, and stylistically correctly state your thoughts.
Argumentative Essay Outline.
It is effective to start your work on paper by elaborating an argumentative essay outline; in it, you should cover arguments of your work and structure them accordingly. It is important that your outline contains both arguments and thesis statement they support.
Expert Tips on How to Write a Good Argumentative Essay
Everything starts with the topic. It is important to select a theme you are an expert in, know a lot about, can state your main point without extensive information search. Check out this resource writemypaper4me for inspiration. Otherwise, you risk wasting time on research and collecting facts. There may be different requirements to argumentative essay topics in different educational establishments. It is important to comply with each point from assignment instructions.
How to Write an Argument Essay - Argumentative Essay Topics
Depending on the level of your educational establishment, requirements to topics to be covered in your paper can vary. So if you find it difficult to formulate a theme yourself, we have prepared a list of topics for your inspiration.
Argumentative Essay Topics for High School
- What is friendship;
- What are the values of life;
- What is love;
- What is maternal love;
- What is the moral choice;
- What is the power of spirit / strong man;
- What is mutual assistance;
- What is happiness?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School.
- Why does a person need courage;
- What leads to cowardice;
- What actions does a person push cowardice into;
- Is it possible to assert that courage is the engine of progress;
- In what life situations is courage best manifested;
- Why is it important to have a goal in life;
- What are the consequences of careless attitude to nature in the world;
- How are the concepts of “indifference” and “selfishness” related?
Argumentative Essay Topics for College.
- What is the conflict between a person and society;
- Can a person exist outside society;
- Can a person change society;
- How does society affect a person;
- Is society responsible for every person;
- What is tolerance;
- Why is it important to maintain individuality;
- What is the difference between a dream and a goal;
- What is the danger of aimless existence?
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics.
- What events and experiences help a person grow up;
- The role of parental instruction in a person's life.
- Why is it important to preserve the connection between generations;
- What are the family traditions and why are they needed;
- What is more important: to love or to be loved;
- Who can be considered a happy person;
- What is mutual understanding?
Improve Your Writing Experience with Argumentative Essay Examples!
If you think not to know how to write an argument essay and cannot accomplish the task yourself, it would be a good idea to look at argumentative essay examples. Get the portion of inspiration and an idea of approaching the task effectively. You can also order professional help by contacting an academic writing service.